October 12, 2012

Dresses, dresses, and more dresses!

Happy Friday yall! TGIF! I'm doing my own version of Friday Fancies today and it's all about dresses (and fall). I feel like I'm a little obsessed lately with the color burgundy. It's just such a pretty color and couldn't be more perfect for autumn and the holidays!

As I mentioned previously, I have a couple special occasions that I need to dress up for and I have been doing some serious online shopping. I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going with Rent the Runway for two them. I just can't get enough of looking at all their pretty dresses and accessories and there are so many rave reviews, I just can't say no.

Note: These are all my own opinions, no one is paying me to advertise anything. However, since I have not one, but THREE events, I absolutely would not be opposed to being compensated for reviewing Rent the Runway.......

First up is S's brother's wedding. SUPER excited for that /sarcasm on November 17. Anyway, it is being held in Gatlinburg, TN at the Roosevelt Lodge. I think it will be a really pretty venue for a fall wedding, however, we are going to be in the mountains so I'm expecting it to be a little chilly. I am under the impression that the ceremony is going to be outside, but I just can't be too sure.

Some of S's family are very conservative (don't drink alcohol, etc.) so I don't want to go too crazy. I also don't think this is going to be a very formal wedding at all, based on the bride's choice of dress, so I don't want to be overdressed.

Here are a couple of the options that I picked out so far along with a couple necklaces that I think would really make the outfit:





You might be thinking that this dress looks a little tight and a little short for the occasion since I mentioned the word "conservative", however, after looking at the photos on the website of those who have actually rented this dress and worn it, it looks far from trampy. I think it would be perfect!

I think it would be perfect, however, this is where I need advice. The bride is supposed to be wearing a lace dress. Mind you, the lace is completely different and of course this dress is burgundy, not white. Would it be inappropriate to wear it knowing that her dress is lace? I mean, what if I were another guest who had absolutely no idea what she was going to wear, it would be okay then, wouldn't it? Also, I really don't even know if she's still planning on wearing the dress that I saw; it could have very potentially changed.

Next wedding option:





Those are my two front-runners right now. I like the blue because although I usually am a huge fan of strapless, this would be more appropriate for a fall wedding. I was really trying to stay away from strapless this time around (again, "conservative".)

Next up is the Navy Christmas party (ball?) I'm still a little unclear about what the actual attire is going to be... When describing it, S said "ball", which makes me think formal. But, from what I've heard, these parties aren't usually that dressy, so I'm kind of leaning toward "cocktail" now. Plus, S mentioned that they will not be required to wear their dress uniforms, they will be able to wear civilian clothes.

I think that the Trina Turk option above could be a great choice for both events to be honest. I also have a few more lined up though. Notice the burgundy theme now?






I really did like that Nicole Miller dress that I posted a couple day ago, but now I'm thinking it's possibly too formal; when I showed it to S, he said, "it's nice, but you should wear something other than black". Okayyyy. So my first thought was either gold or red. If you haven't already noticed, I'm a very classic, simple kind of gal so gold can be a little too tacky flashy if not done right, but then I came across the burgundy and fell in love. I think the Thread Social dress is my #1 as of right now.

The last event, which is coming up very soon, as I mentioned, is Keeneland! I'm still having a hard time figuring out to wear, but I did find this dress at Belk and thought it could work. I could wear it with my riding boots and with tights if it's chilly out. It's probably not going to be very warm so I'm not banking on wearing anything too dressy. I'm sure there will be people there who go all out and others who are very casual. I just want to wear something appropriate for the occasion.


{Belk}


I'm just not sure about the material though, it looks a little thin and flimsy...

Anyway, I have a few more things to post about, but I feel like this post is long enough. It will have to wait until next time! Hope you are all enjoying your Friday and have a great weekend!





4 comments:

Jen said...

I love the 2nd dress, so pretty! My husbands brother is getting married next weekend....yay lol.

Sara said...

Love the dresses! I don't think I could pull them off, but they are cute!

P.S. I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! I LOVE reading your blog! :-)

Kate said...

I absolutely love the first dress. Love the color and lace. I don't know what the etiquette is for a wedding though-do you get along well with the bride? If so then I think it's fine to wear a lace dress-it is very trendy right now. But if you don't get along well with the bride go with something that isn't lace. I love the navy dress. Add some nautical jewelry ;)

Jen @Marine Wife, Mommy and Life said...

I love the blue for the wedding and the third dress for the Christmas party!! Beautiful choices!! Rent a dress? Really? My husband is going to kill me now.... :)
New follower from http://wifemomworklife.blogspot.com/ hope you'll come by and follow back if you'd like. :))
~Jen

 
Blogging tips