January 24, 2013

Tomorrow is FRIDAY! :)

Happy Thursday, ladies! I just wanted to put up a reminder that tomorrow is Fitness Friday! I've loved reading everyone's posts so far about what you are all doing to be and stay healthy. I know I struggle sometimes to stay on track so this weekly linkup is really helping me hold myself accountable, especially when I know I have to report my week on Friday!


Honor Courage Commitment


Until then, I wanted to share this amazing recipe that I tried last night. It's by an incredibly sweet gal named Amanda over at Marshalls Abroad. She always posts the most amazing pictures and her recipes are to die for. I am just so jealous of her ability to create such delicious dishes.

This no-frills barbeque chicken recipes is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and tangy. She was inspired to put this recipe together after a recent visit to New Zealand (lucky duck!)



Sweet & Saucy BBQ Chicken
 {serves 2-4}

 
2-4 free-range chicken breasts  

2 T. honey  
juice of 1 fresh squeezed lemon  
4 T. organic ketchup about 
3 T. olive oil  
1 T. apple cider vinegar  
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced  
1 T. raw sugar  
1 T.  Worcestershire sauce  
1 teas. red pepper  
1 teas. paprika  
1 teas. cumin  
1 teas. ground mustard  
1 teas. salt
  
 Combine all of the ingredients except the chicken in a bowl. Taste; it should have a kick to it but also very sweet. I don't use exact measurements so feel free to add more of whatever you'd like to according to your taste. Wash and pat dry the chicken and rub in olive oil and some salt and pepper. Place them in a large zip-lock bag. Pour in half of the bbq sauce into the bag and get all sides of the chicken covered. Refrigerate for at least two hours, but overnight is best to let it marinate. Refrigerate the rest of your sauce. Heat up your grill and cook your chicken -- on our old charcoal grill it took about 30 minutes -- basting each side with the sauce as you turn it. Once it's cooked, pour the remaining sauce on top for even more flavor.   




At the end, I added a little more cumin and a little more ground mustard. It is on the spicy side, especially after it cooks down, so if you are not a big fan of spice, I would definitely recommend adding just a little red pepper at a time or eliminating it all together. S and I LOVE spicy foods, so it was just perfect for us.

Amanda also posted a coleslaw recipe to go with the BBQ chicken; however, due to lack of planning and a time crunch, I just went with store-bought shredded cabbage and dressing. I love the sound of her recipe though and will definitely try it sometime :)


How ours came out -
 Not nearly as pretty, but definitely yummy!






 

3 comments:

Kristine -Heart Shaped Sweat said...

I've loved your Fitness Fridays! There's so much motivation in each others stories :) that chicken dish sounds really yummy, yours even looks a little like a heart!

Unknown said...

Looking forward to it! I need to post a recipe that I made for dinner last night. To die for! Your dish looks so so yummy!!!!

Jen said...

Yum!!! :) I'm such a sucker for new recipes. :)

 
Blogging tips